Sunday, December 7, 2008

Vixen


I made a new gourd for the annual Chula X-mas extravaganza where we smoke, drink, say "bawlsaq" a lot and generally act very unladylike. So anywayz, I make one of my sculptures as my gift for the fuk-u-beeyotch-I-am-stealin-ur present gift exchange we do. You know where you can pick from under the tree or steal someone else's gift?? The deal is that once one has been stolen 3 times, it is frozen and not even the number 1 person can steal it back in the end.


I get a bottle of wine that Allison has had labeled special so that it says "Chula Ballsaq" with a caption that reads "Here's to getting really drunk." DeLaine gets some x-mas thongs from Conn, Conn gets the baby Jeezus, Mary and Joseph lantern sculpture and guess what? She's Jewish, and Gerlich gets the 25 days of x-mas shot glass/candle holders--yeah right you can put a tea light into anything and call it a "candle holder." The list goes on, but you get the picture.


So my gourd gets stolen 3 times and frozen and I was so flattered by that. At the end of the party, I took a pic of my gourd reindeer in her box before Emma took her home. I was really sad. I was thinking how attached I get to the sculptures sometimes. How there is a piece of me in each one of them and that they are really actually quite personal. Then I realize that the sadness is also in part because the party is over. This is the end of another year and the party that we all wait all year for is now at a close. It is bittersweet really because every year, we get closer in this group of friends that we call chulas. Our own ya-ya sista hood. You start to wonder with every passing year if we will be 65 years old sitting in Diane's living room laughing and cussing and eating chimichurri and sushi.


I hope so.

No comments: